Does organic toothpaste clean your teeth as well as regular toothpaste? This is one of the top questions among people considering organic toothpaste. The answer is a resounding yes!
While the physical act of brushing does most of the work of cleaning your teeth, toothpaste serves to kill bacteria to reduce the chances of tooth decay and other dental illnesses.
Natural toothpaste effectively cleans your teeth and kills bacteria with the additional benefits of having no additives or impurities. While some organic toothpaste does not have chemical compounds, others have way less than the conventional toothpaste. Ultimately, organic toothpaste is a healthier option than regular toothpaste.
This article reviews some of the best natural toothpaste. It also discusses harmful ingredients that are found in most conventional toothpaste and healthier options found in organic toothpaste.
10 Best Natural and Organic Toothpaste Reviews
Below is a review of some of the best organic toothpaste on the market.
1. Best Overall: Auromere Ayurvedic Mint Herbal Toothpaste
Fine chalk, vegetable-derived glycerin, water, peelu extract, pomegranate rind, Indian Licorice root extract, neem extract, rose apples, Persian walnut, Indian almond, menthol, thyme oil extract, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil. Cinnamon bark oil, thymol, spearmint oil, clove oil, bishop’s weed flower extract, cellulose, potassium sorbate, Indian coconut oil, sapan wood, babul, bedda nut, Asian holy oak, sandalwood, Bengal madder, and Prickly Ash.
Auromere ayurvedic toothpaste formula a wide range of plant-based extracts, including neem and peelu, for optimal dental hygiene. It has a high concentration of neem and peelu, which have antibacterial properties for enhancing dental immunity.
Neem has antioxidant properties that prevents cavities, mouth infections, and tartar. On the other hand, peelu is rich in vitamin C for healthy gums and has chlorine-like properties that whiten your teeth and remove stains.
This toothpaste incorporates pure mint oils that leave a refreshing, cool, and clean taste in your mouth. Mint is also a powerful antibacterial which fights cavities and gum diseases.
Auromere Ayurvedic mint toothpaste is non-GMO, gluten-free, and fluoride-free. Also, it does not contain artificial sweeteners or colors. Auromere sources its ayurvedic products from suppliers in India to ensure that the purity and quality are top-notch.
- Non –GMO, gluten-free, and does not contain artificial sweeteners
- Made using an ayurvedic formulation for optimal oral immunity
- Whitens teeth and removes tartar and stains
- Leaves a refreshing, cool, and clean taste in the mouth
- Fights cavities and gum diseases
- None so far
Sorbitol, purified water, hydrated silica, vegetable glycerin, calcium carbonate, erythritol, xylitol, xanthan gum, titanium dioxide, flavor, coconut oil, zinc citrate, Cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoyl glutamate, potassium sorbate, stevia, and tea tree oil.
Hello antiplaque and whitening toothpaste is a fluoride-free toothpaste designed to fight cavity, remove tartar, and whiten teeth. It is available in two flavors; sweet mint and peppermint that leave your mouth refreshed. The toothpaste is dye-free, SLS free, paraben-free, and does not contain triclosan.
It contains coconut oil, which pulls out bacteria from the teeth and leaves them moisturized. It also contains calcium carbonate, which cleans the teeth, while zinc citrate controls tartar. Another key ingredient in toothpaste is sodium cocoyl glutamate, which serves as a cleanser.
- Free from harmful chemical ingredients found in most conventional toothpaste, including parabens, dyes, triclosan, and SLS
- Gluten-free and animal-product free
- Effective in teeth whitening and tartar removal
- Leaves mouth feeling clean and refreshed
- Some people find it too watery
3. Best Premium Choice: Dr Sheffield’s Certified Natural Toothpaste
Dicalcium phosphate dihydrate, water, glycerin, calcium carbonate, xylitol, plant-derived carrageenan, Xanthan gum, stevia extract, natural menthol, wintergreen leaf oil, natural fennel flavor, tea tree leaf oil, Myrrha resin extract, orris root powder, propolis extract, saponins, natural peppermint flavor, coconut oil, quillaja Saponaria, and organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice.
Dr Washington Wentworth Sheffield first formulated a natural toothpaste in1870. He was particular about formulating a toothpaste that did not contain synthetic compounds, an artificial sweetener such as saccharin, and foaming agents such as sodium lauryl sulfate. As such, Dr Sheffield’s kinds of toothpaste are fluoride-free, non-GMO, and synthetic free.
His toothpaste is available in 9 flavors, including extra-whitening natural mint, natural chocolate, natural cinnamon, natural mint-charcoal, natural mint sensitive, natural mixed berry, natural strawberry banana, peppermint, and natural wintergreen.
The Dr Sheffield’s Certified Natural Toothpaste Wintergreen flavor is designed to reduce plaque, whiten teeth, and leave a long-lasting freshness in your breath.
- 90% made from organic plant extracts
- Has no synthetics, preservatives, or synthetic foaming agents.
- Fluoride-free and non-GMO
- Whitens teeth
- Leaves a long-lasting freshness in your breath
Vegetable-derived glycerin, xylitol, water, hydrated silica, calcium carbonate, lauryl glucoside derived from coconut oil, stevia extract, the flavor from essential oils, potassium sorbate, methanol from peppermint leaves, xanthan gum, carrageenan, sodium chloride, thymol, neem extract, pomegranate fruit extract, Terminalia chebula extract, Terminalia bellerica extract, amla fruit extract, vidanga fruit extract, Acacia Arabica bark extract, and glutamate.
The Himalaya Botanique toothpaste is an organic, plant-based toothpaste free from harmful chemicals such as triclosan, artificial sweeteners, and SLS. It is also fluoride-free. It is designed to leverage the ayurvedic properties of herbs to promote optimal oral hygiene. It has a mint flavor that leaves your mouth refreshed. It also incorporates Triphala, pomegranate, and neem for healthy gums.
- Plant-based and organic
- Fluoride-free and triclosan-free
- Mint flavor for refreshed breath
- Promotes overall oral hygiene
- Contains carrageenan
Water, hydrated silica, coconut-derived sarkosyl, stabilized chlorine dioxide, cellulose gum, titanium dioxide, peppermint oil, sucralose, menthol crystals, and disodium hydrogen phosphate.
The CloSYS Fluoride-Free Toothpaste is designed for effective cleaning of the teeth without causing abrasions. It does not contain fluoride, sulfates, triclosan, or SLS. It is formulated to be pH balanced and is suitable for even the most sensitive mouths.
It has a whitening effect and effectively removes stains. Its gentle mint flavor kills plaque and germs while leaving a long-lasting fresh breath. In addition, the CloSYS fluoride-free toothpaste helps to demineralize the enamel even in cases of severe acid erosion.
- Removes stains and whitens teeth
- Provides a long-lasting freshness in your breath
- Kills bacteria and removes plaque
- Helps the enamel to remineralize
- Fluoride-free, sulfates free, SLS free and triclosan-free
- Contains parabens
Purified water, citric acid, Activated charcoal, organic coconut oil, xylitol, organic peppermint, tea tree oil, and diatomaceous earth.
The Cali White activated charcoal and coconut oil nature’s teeth whitening toothpaste is made with minimal ingredients. It is cruelty-free, non-GMO, fluoride-free, SLS free, and dairy-free. In addition, it does not contain parabens or hydrogen peroxide. As such, it is ideal for use by both kids and adults.
It is designed to be one of the most effective teeth whitening organic toothpaste. The combination of activated power charcoal, organic coconut oil, and baking soda works together to bind and clean even the most stubborn stains, plaque, and tartar. Diatomaceous earth remineralizes the enamel, while peppermint and tea tree oil leave a refreshing and clean taste in your mouth for long-lasting freshness.
- Alleviates bad breath and leaves a long-lasting freshness in your mouth
- Remineralizes the enamel
- Removes tartar, stains, and plaque
- Whitens teeth
- Organic – does not contain sulfates, parabens, fluoride, and other synthetic compounds
- Has a bad taste
Plant-derived sorbitol, purified water, vegetable glycerin, plant-derived silica, coconut oil derived sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, cellulose gum, xylitol, neem extract, black seed extract, licorice root extract, baobab extract, lodhra, tea tree oil extract, olive oil, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, miswak, thymol oil, food-grade sodium benzoate, wintergreen oil, menthol, anethole, and peppermint.
The Zenkinetix Neem herbal toothpaste is a plant-based ayurvedic toothpaste that is fluoride-free, chemical-free, and gluten-free. It is a purely organic toothpaste that does not contain color dyes, artificial sweeteners, petroleum-based compounds, parabens, or saccharin.
It has a mint flavor that leaves the teeth clean with a cool and refreshing feel. It is made of 15 organic ayurvedic herbs for optimal dental hygiene. Neem, a primary ingredient in the toothpaste, has proven to fight dental diseases and infections such as periodontal disease and gingivitis. This toothpaste is also suitable for managing and alleviating teeth sensitivity, gum inflammation, and tooth decay.
- 100% organic with no chemicals or preservatives
- leaves the mouth with a clean and fresh taste
- Prevents a wide range of dental diseases
- Alleviates teeth sensitivity
- Some customers reported receiving expired products
Limestone derived calcium carbonate, Vegetable glycerin, baking soda, purified water, hydrated silica, seaweed-derived SLS, coconut oil, peppermint oil, spearmint leaf oil, anise seed extract, wintergreen leaf oil, and stevia extract.
The Davids natural charcoal toothpaste is truly an organic toothpaste formulated with a wide range of herbal extracts. The charcoal toothpaste is parabens free, chemical-free, fluoride-free, and sulfate-free. It is suitable for use by both adults and children.
This charcoal toothpaste effectively whitens teeth and removes stains, tartar, and plaque. It is smooth, creamy, and non-gritty. It does not feel abrasive when you are brushing. The blend of various mint oils gives it a refreshing and clean taste.
Furthermore, the manufactures of David Natural charcoal toothpaste are environment conscious. Its tube is recyclable, and FSC certified.
- Whitens teeth and removes stains
- Leaves a refreshing taste in the mouth
- Completely organic with no chemicals, synthetics, or parabens
- Suitable for both kids and adults
- The packaging is ecofriendly
- Some people find its taste and smell unpleasant
Organic Toothpaste Buying Guide
In this section, we will look at some of the benefits of using organic toothpaste over conventional toothpaste. We will also look at some commonly used ingredients in toothpaste that may be harmful and healthier alternatives for organic toothpaste.
Benefits of Organic Toothpaste
Cleans your teeth effectively without the risk of chemical side effects
Natural toothpaste does a great job when it comes to cleaning your teeth and killing bacteria. They contain ingredients such as mint and aloe vera, which have antibacterial effects.
Refreshes your breath
Some natural toothpaste incorporates essential oils, which eliminate bacteria and leave your mouth feeling refreshed.
Soothe gum pain and alleviates sensitivity
Some organic toothpaste incorporates vegetal oils that offer a soothing effect for gum pain. For instance, aloe vera and tea tree oil can soothe painful gums and relieve sensitivity.
Has a whitening effect and removes stains
Organic toothpaste incorporates silica and bicarbonate soda, which have stain removal and whitening effects. The benefits of organic whitening compounds are that they do it safely without eroding the enamel.
Safe for children
Many dentists recommend that you don’t use toothpaste for children below two years, and you use a pea-sized amount for older children in case the children ingest the toothpaste. How about you use fluoride-free toothpaste like most natural toothpaste? They do not have harmful chemical ingredients that could be detrimental to the child’s health.
Types of Organic Toothpaste
Most organic toothpaste falls under the following categories:
- All-purpose. These are designed to maintain your teeth and mouth’s overall health by killing bacteria and ensuring your mouth stays fresh.
- Cavity fighting. They help to remove plaque, kill bacteria, and remineralize teeth that are beginning to get cavities. They also contain ingredients that are anti-inflammatory and contain pain-relieving properties. They contain ingredients such as mint, aloe vera, and green tea extract, among others.
- This category of organic toothpaste helps to combat teeth staining and discoloration. They contain ingredients such as citric acid and bicarbonate soda.
- Toothpaste for teeth sensitivity. Toothpaste for teeth sensitivity help to demineralize the teeth enamel. They also work by forming a coat on the tooth enamel to block the sensitivity stimulus from reaching the nerves.
- Children’s organic toothpaste. These are specially designed for children. They contain a few ingredients that are safe for kids.
Harmful Ingredient Commonly Found in Regular Toothpaste
- Fluoride. Fluoride is great for fighting cavities and strengthening teeth. However, when used in large doses, it can lead to mottled teeth. The risk of mottled teeth is especially higher in children. In addition, ingesting fluoride can lead to various health issues, including teeth discoloration, stomachache, and impaired glucose absorption. The FDA requires all tooth manufacturers to include a fluoride label on all toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Triclosan is often used as an antibacterial agent in toothpaste meant to fight against plaque and gingivitis. In 2016, the FDA banned the use of triclosan in soaps and toothpaste. However, some companies are still using it in their toothpaste.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate. Commonly referred to as SLS, it is the ingredient that causes regular toothpaste to foam. This is the same compound that is found in shampoos and most detergents. Therefore, as you may already be suspecting, it may not be safe for oral consumption.
- Saccharin. Saccharin is used to sweeten mouthwashes, toothpaste, and food. However, recent research indicated that this compound causes cancer in rat labs. As a result, many toothpaste manufactures have since stopped using it to sweeten their toothpaste.
- Carrageenan. It is mainly used to thicken toothpaste. However, it has been linked to digestive issues such as gastrointestinal inflammation and ulcers. With that said, some organic toothpaste incorporates plant-derived carrageenan.
- Parabens. They are used as preservatives to increase the shelf life of toothpaste. While more research is being carried out to review its side effects, so far, it is evident that parabens disrupt hormones.
Common Ingredients Found in Natural Toothpaste
Here are the naturally occurring ingredients most commonly used to formulate organic toothpaste:
- Xylitol is a natural sweetener derived from woody fibrous trees that work as a substitute for chemical sweeteners used in non-organic toothpaste.
- Green tea extract. The polyphenols found in green tea help to fight bacteria in the mouth and prevent bad breath.
- Citric acid. Citric acid helps to remineralize teeth that have plaque and also whitens stained or discolored teeth.
- Zinc citrate. It inhibits the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth.
- Baking soda. Commonly referred to as sodium bicarbonate. It serves several purposes, including whitening teeth and fighting plaque.
- Menthol fights bacteria and leaves your mouth refreshed. It also alleviates and prevents bad breath.
- Coconut oil. When you are brushing, coconut oil pulls the bacteria from your teeth, and once you spit, you spit out the bacteria.
- Wintergreen oil. It has anti-inflammatory effects and works well to alleviate gum swelling, gum pain, and other gum diseases.
- Cucumber fruit extract. It is loaded with minerals and vitamins, which help to strengthen and mineralize your teeth.
- Aloe vera. It is both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
- Papaya extract. Has teeth whitening effects.
Are There Any Controversial Ingredients Found in Natural Toothpaste?
While the majority of the ingredients used in organic toothpaste are safe, others have been controversial. These include:
- Xylitol and other natural sweeteners such as sorbitol and erythritol. These natural sweeteners are safe to use in small amounts. However, in large amounts, they can affect glucose metabolism in the body if ingested.
- Watch out for organic toothpaste that incorporates bentonite clay as an ingredient as it may contain lead. However, some researchers claim that the lead found in clay is not bio-available to the body and does not have any effect. There is a need for more research to ascertain the safety of bentonite clay in toothpaste.
- Glycerin. Glycerin is a common ingredient in both conventional and organic toothpaste. Some dentists claim that glycerin coats the teeth inhibiting the absorption of minerals. There are no enough studies to ascertain that glycerin inhibits remineralization.
- Essential oils. Some people are adamant about using essential oils orally. However, food-grade essential oils incorporated in organic toothpaste are safe and offer anti-decay benefits.
The organic movement has been growing exponentially in the last decade because it advocates for natural ingredients to promote overall well-being and prevent disease. As such, it is a great lifestyle adjustment to use organic toothpaste since they are free from artificial flavors and sweeteners, parabens, sulfates, and other harmful chemical compounds found in conventional toothpaste. They get the job done effectively and safely.